Thursday, February 22, 2007

I'm in the Mudra

Proof of Law of Attraction: Last night, I spent hours online searching for info and photos of hand mudras, because suddenly, I want to know more about them. Walk into my usual Thursday morning Power Vinyasa class, and throughout our practice today, Dolly showed us various hand (hasta) mudras. I tripped. The info I was looking for came to me!

So…as promised, here's some info about Guyan Mudra and Hakini Mudra. First, a quick disclaimer: in searching for mudra images, I found that there are subtle mudra name / interpretation / demonstration discrepancies. I’ve done the best I could to represent these mudras accurately, but if I’m wrong about something, please post a comment to let me know.

Guyan/Gyan Mudra: The Knowledge Seal
Guyan (also spelled Gyan) Mudra "increases memory, intelligence and concentration in studies. Strengthens the nerve system, cures migraines, headache and insomnia. Helps in over powering anger and developing spiritualism." [Source: http://www.astropalmist.com/mudras.html]

I love using Active Guyan Mudra in Warrior II—already a very strong asana with the arms outstretched. Adding upturned Active Guyan Mudra hands, for me at least, gives my Warrior II more purpose and grace.

Guyan Mudra

The tip of the thumb touches the tip of the index finger, stimulating knowledge and ability. The index finger is symbolized by Jupiter, and the thumb represents the ego. Guyan Mudra imparts receptivity and calm. [Source: http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/mudras.html, which notes that this information was taken from the book Transitions to a Heart Centered World, by Gururattan K. Khalsa Ph.D.]

Active Guyan Mudra
In Active Guyan Mudra, the first joint of the index finger is bent under the first joint of the thumb, imparting active knowledge. [Source: http://www.kundaliniyoga.org/mudras.html, which notes that this information was taken from the book Transitions to a Heart Centered World, by Gururattan K. Khalsa Ph.D.]

Hakini Mudra: The Memory Seal
We've probably all done Hakini Mudra at some point without even knowing it.

Hakini Mudra is supposed to help when you are trying to remember something, or need focus and concentration.



No comments: