Thursday, January 24, 2008

Kudos to Cay

Dolly is irreplaceable; that is a given. So I do feel for new instructors or subs who have to step into her classes. But having said that, let me just say how thrilled I am that Cay is the one who is taking over Dolly's Thursday morning Power Vinyasa class. She is one of a handful of of my favorites...and I've never really taken a class with her before. However, I did go through teacher training with her, and was very impressed with her tone while teaching as well as her yoga...she rocks the arm balances!

Anyway, today was our first Thursday with her, and class was challenging, inspiring, and invigorating. Not bad considering I rolled into class on about four hours of sleep (When your boy calls, sleep can wait. I'll sleep plenty when I'm dead). Cay has a lovely, soothing voice and I love her language: "give it all you've got," "just two more breaths," etc. She pushes gently and reminds you that there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel.

Her sequencing was great; we warmed up with some classic Sun Sals, and we did splits of every sort: Standing Splits, Splits Prep, full Splits, Flying Splits, so I was a happy girl. I need lots of splits and deep hamstring stretches to counter (or complement) all the lunging and squatting I'm doing at the gym. It feels good (well, sometimes, not really), but I know too much or not enough of one or the other will leave me underdeveloped in the hamstrings, or overdeveloped and too tight. So when I can get a lot of stretching and hamstring work in yoga, I can hit it hard in the gym and not feel like I'm locking up.

But back to Cay. Music was also excellent, the kind you need to get you moving at 5:45am. Classic and trance-y yoga tracks, plus a lovely Savasana track. By that point, I was so pleasantly exhausted I could've slept right there on the floor for a bit without a care in the world. So hats off to Cay for a wonderful first day. Class was sparse, which is always the case when Dolly is absent, but I think once the most of the regulars take a class with Cay, they'll all be back.

No comments: